If you are interested in immigration to Mexico for longer than six months or permanently in 2022, you must get a resident visa. You do not need to be a temporary resident in Mexico before applying for permanent residency. The permanent residence permit in Mexico offers the same benefits to the residency cardholder as to the actual citizen, excluding the right to vote. In addition, you do not need to renew your Mexican permanent residence card because it is granted permanently. If you have this card, you can enter and depart Mexico as many times as you like.
If you are interested in obtaining a Mexican green card in 2022, you can get in touch with our law firm. Our Mexican lawyers can assist you with visa-related legal matters.
|Permanent residence permit types||
Time needed to obtain Permanent residence permit (approx.)
|10 – 15 working days|
Permanent residence permit validity
|Documents for obtaining Permanent residence||
Completed and signed Mexico Visa Application Form
|Mandatory registrations with state authorities (i.e. with the population/municipality register)||National Registry of Population and Personal Identification’s General Office|
|Dependents can join the Permanent permit holder (Yes/No)||
|Temporary or permanent residency for investment purposes||
Once you have an investor visa in Mexico, you can apply for permanent residency.
|Minimum temporary residence before applying for permanent residence||180 days|
|Naturalization requirements||Legal residency in Mexico for at least five years|
|Citizenship after permanent residence||After five years of residency in Mexico|
Who can apply for a Mexico resident visa?
The following is a list of people who can apply for permanent residency in Mexico:
- Investors: if you want to invest your money, you may get a residency permit. You can invest in various areas, such as services or industries. Our attorneys can assist you with the investment procedure necessary to gain permanent residence in Mexico;
- Well-known individual: if you are a scientist, humanist, researcher, artist, journalist, sportsman, or any other prominent person with international prestige, you can get residency in Mexico;
- Professionals: you can get your certifications verified by the Mexican consulate in your country if you are a certified professional. You can apply for a Mexico resident visa if the Embassy agrees;
- Retirees: if you do not intend to work and receive income overseas, you can apply for permanent residency. However, your income and assets must fulfill the Mexican government’s financial requirements.
If you are a student, technician, or have family ties to this country, you may be eligible for permanent residence in Mexico. You can rely on the legal services offered by our immigration lawyers in Mexico if you are interested in acquiring a residence permit in this country. The residente temporal permit allows you to stay in Mexico for up to 4 years if you only plan to do so temporarily. Foreign nationals with the goal to live in Mexico continuously (and indefinitely) are granted permanent residence visas. If you want to immigrate to Mexico to get temporary or permanent residence, get in touch with our lawyers.
Application for a permanent resident visa in Mexico
You must apply for a Mexican permanent resident card at the National Immigration Institute after you arrive. However, depending on your reason for visiting Mexico, you must first secure a resident visa. When you make an appointment with a Mexican embassy, the application procedure for a resident visa begins. It is suggested that the essential paperwork be submitted with the assistance of our attorneys since incorrect document submission creates extra delays in the procedure. To save you time, the experts at our law office in Mexico can assist you in gathering relevant paperwork. They may also help you with legal matters if you have any concerns related to immigration to Mexico.
Submit your application along with the visa fee. You will give your biometrics and may also have to enter an interview on your appointment date. Please wait for the visa to be completed after this step and pick up your passport. The Embassy will stamp your passport with a visa if your application is granted. You can enter the state with this visa, but you must seek to change your permanent resident visa into a Mexican permanent resident card within 30 days. It is required since the visa itself does not enable you to stay in Mexico for an extended period; however, the resident card does.
Our knowledgeable attorneys can assist you with your plans to relocate to Mexico. In addition, our attorneys will also help you acquire permanent residence in Mexico. Please keep in mind, those citizens (of Mexican nationality) who have specific rights and duties to the state are awarded citizenship. According to Article 34 of the Constitution, citizens of Mexico are individuals who have reached the age of 18 and live an honest lifestyle. If you want to apply for Mexican citizenship, you must fulfill the criteria. Our lawyers can offer you information about the requirements for acquiring citizenship in this country.
Potential applicants for Mexico residency visas
This section outlines the typical circumstances of those seeking residence permits in Mexico. In addition, you can learn more about the main ways to get legal residency on Experience. Our immigration lawyers in Mexico can offer more information on this aspect.
Retirees / independent income
Suppose you plan to participate in “non-remunerative activities” (i.e., you do not intend to make cash from Mexico), and you are receiving money from abroad. In that case, you are eligible to apply for a temporary or permanent residence permit if you meet the requirements. Feel free to address our immigration lawyers in Mexico for details.
You may be granted a residence permit if you are looking to invest your money in Mexico in 2022. Your investment may target services or industries and must be at least a certain amount.
If you are a certified professional, you can get your certifications validated by the Mexican Consulate in your country of residence and then apply for an immigration visa to stay in Mexico and apply for residency here.
Professionals in science or technology
Suppose you are a certified scientist or technician. In that case, Mexico offers a category of visas that allows you to reside and work in Mexico under the sponsorship of an overseas business. However, the company must pay for the entirety of your earnings and expenses during your time living in Mexico.
To apply for this visa, applicants must be recognized as having a national or international reputation or be a notable person, for example, scientist, researcher, athlete. Each application is assessed individually, and admission is subject to the discretion of the Interior Ministry. Other situations include students as well as people with relatives in Mexico.
How do you become a Mexican resident?
You may apply to become a Mexican resident if you meet some of the requirements:
- Your family is close in Mexico;
- You have found a job in Mexico;
- You plan to take your retirement in Mexico;
- You begin studying at a Mexican educational institution;
- At minimum 4 years in temporary residency. You are now eligible for permanent residence.
If you are a non-native, you can obtain temporary residency for some time in Mexico when you are employed or want to be a part of a family member who lives in Mexico as a resident or begins your studies in Mexico. The temporary resident card issued by Mexico lasts for a year at first and is valid for a maximum period of four years. After that, the applicant can apply for Mexican green card residency.
Fast ways to get a Mexican green card
You may be eligible to apply for a Mexican green card permanent resident visa when you meet any of these criteria:
- You are retired and want to stay in Mexico forever, without income or employment Mexico (Mexico retirement visa);
- You have family members close to you in Mexico;
- If you have a child who belongs to or was a Mexican citizen or permanent resident;
- You are a young person or adolescent, and you have parents who are Mexican citizen or permanent residents;
- You are a young person or adolescent with an adult step-parent who is a Mexican citizen or permanent resident;
- Siblings of one Mexican national or permanent resident;
- You have lived in Mexico for a minimum of four years and have a temporary residence card;
- You have lived within Mexico for a minimum of two years and have a temporary residence card granted based on union with Mexican citizens or permanent residents.
Besides acquiring Mexican green card, if you need legal assistance in any other matter, you can get in touch with our lawyers. They can further help you in your Mexican citizenship application process.
Application for a Mexican green card
It is necessary to apply for a Mexican permanent resident visa at the National Immigration Institute upon arrival in Mexico. However, before that, you need to apply for a permanent resident visa at a Mexican Embassy in your country according to your traveling. The procedure to apply for a permanent resident visa for Mexico is like this:
- Contact the Mexico Embassy to make an appointment;
- Fill out your Mexico visa application form. The form is available online which you can find on-site at the Mexico Embassy, where you will submit your application;
- Take the necessary documents;
- Fill out your application online and make payment for the fee. On the date you have scheduled, you will be required to provide your biometrics. In addition, you might be required to attend an interview;
- The visa needs to be approved;
- Take the passport. If your application is accepted, your visa is added to your ticket;
- When you have a permanent resident visa approved, you can apply for entry into the country.
You are welcome to interact with the skilled lawyers located at our law office in Mexico City for any additional details in this regard. You can also rely on our lawyers if you are planning to apply for residency in Mexico.
Duration of a Mexico permanent resident card
The permanent resident card for Mexico is not issued with an expiration date. It is valid for an indefinite period. Therefore, it does not have to be renewed every few years like the temporary resident card.
Time frame to get a Mexican green card
1 to 10 days at the Mexican Consulate. After approval of the visa through the Mexican Consulate, the procedure to obtain the Mexican green card at the appropriate Mexico Instituto Nacional De Migracion (INM) Immigration office closer to your address could take anywhere from between 1 and 30 days.
Fees for Mexican green card and visa
Please remember that the visa fee may vary somewhat based on your home country. Furthermore, payment methods may differ; certain Mexican embassies may need a bank transfer, while others may require payment in cash. Fees for a Mexican green card and visa are shown below:
- The visa fee is about US$36;
- Once you enter the country, you have to apply for a Mexican green card. You need to use it at the National Immigration Institute and pay a fee of about US$250.
Contact our law firm for any legal assistance you need for obtaining permanent residence in Mexico in 2022. The permanent residence permit for Mexico is granted for an indeterminate period and does not have an expiration date. As a result, unlike the temporary resident card, it does not require annual renewal. Upon arrival in Mexico, you must submit an application for a Mexican permanent resident card at the National Immigration Institute (Instituto Nacional de Migracion, or INM). In addition, you are welcome to get the legal support of our experienced lawyers if you are interested in opening a company in this country.