Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Immigrate to Mexico

Immigrate to Mexico

People who want to immigrate to Mexico can obtain temporary residence permits for various purposes. Provided they want to remain here, they can qualify for permanent residency after several years of lawful stay. Our immigration lawyers in Mexico have put together all you should learn about the steps to take when you relocate here.

Quick Facts   
  Entry visa requirement (from EU) Yes/No


Entry visa requirement (outside EU) (Yes/No)


Types of visas available

 Mexico Student Visa
Mexico Work Visa
Mexico Family Visa
Mexico Tourist Visa
Mexico Permanent Resident Visa
Time frame for obtaining work visa (approx.)

30 to 45 days

Validity of temporary residence permit

One year on the first issuance and can be renewed for another one, two, or three years.

Time frame for obtaining permanent residence

10 – 15 working days

Investor visa availability (Yes/No)


Sponsorship requirement (Yes/No)

Time frame for obtaining citizenship

requires a minimum of five consecutive years of residency

Citizenship/Residency by investment scheme available (Yes/No) Yes
Tax benefits for expats Taxed on Mexican-sourced income only

The low cost of living and the ease of accessing high-quality, affordable healthcare are the most compelling reasons expats decide to move to Mexico

Visas in Mexico

To visit Mexico for up to 180 days, you will need the Multiple Migration Form, or FMM as it is known in Spanish, and a visa may still be necessary for some countries. To find out what visa requirements you have to go to Mexico according to your nationality, it is best to get your case reviewed by our Mexican immigration lawyers. A visa is now required if you want to lawfully immigrate to Mexico. In this section we will discuss the following types of visas:

  • Student visa;
  • Temporary resident visa;
  • Employment visa;
  • Permanent resident visa.

The type of visa that is most suitable for you will depend on the circumstances under which you are opting for immigration to Mexico. It is essential to speak with a legal firm in Mexico if you want to learn about the many alternatives open to you. You will require a visa whether your trip to Mexico is for a weekend or a year-long stay. In Mexico, visas, which are official papers that confirm your right to enter and remain in the nation, come in a variety of forms. The sort of visa you receive depends on the nature of your visit or if you want to relocate.

Regarding permits for immigration, the way you go about moving to Mexico will depend on the reason you are moving and the length of time you wish to remain. They are divided into:

  • the non-immigrant permit which is granted to those with a stay of fewer than 4 years to return to their home country;
  • the immigrant permit which is available for stays that last longer than six months and those who intend to apply for permanent residence.

Once you move to Mexico, you can apply for residence permits with the help of our lawyers. Our lawyers in Mexico City will not only provide you with legal guidance but also help you in the application process of residency.

How do I obtain a temporary resident visa?

The temporary residence visa is intended for foreigners who wish to stay in the country for some time longer than 180 days (6 months) and less than 4 years. This visa allows entering and leaving the country without any type of limitation. The visa costs $44 and is due on the day of the interview. The lapse of time to complete the visa application process is 10 working days from the moment the process is initiated.

This visa is functional for people who wish to relocate and work in Mexico. These are the documents required to obtain this type of visa:

  • Valid passport (original and copy; valid for 6 months before travel);
  • Travel valid under international law;
  • Color photo, white background, passport size (3×3.5 cm), the applicant’s face must be visible and without glasses;
  • Document that accredits legal stay (this only in cases where the foreigner is not a national of the country where the visa is requested);
  • Economic solvency.

There are different requirements to demonstrate economic solvency depending on each case, which is why you must have a team of attorneys in Mexico that can guide you at the moment of emigrating to Mexico.

Immigration to Mexico based on employment

Employment is for many a safe way to immigrate and obtain residency in Mexico. However, for this purpose, you must have been offered a job first. Also, because you are not allowed to apply for a work visa on your own, your employer must do so. The National Migration Institute (INM) must approve the work visa request before you may start the relocation formalities at the Mexican Embassy in your home country.

Once in Mexico, you must present your visa to the INM to obtain a temporary residence card. This card will allow you to stay in Mexico for 4 years.

Another option for those interested in relocating to Mexico based on employment is through the digital nomad visa. However, this is not the usual program encountered in other countries.

The Mexican digital nomad visa is in fact a temporary resident visa that is ideal for remote workers.  It allows applicants to live and work in Mexico as long as they earn all of their income outside of the country. Applicants are unable to work for local companies, making the temporary resident visa an excellent option for remote workers. They can use this visa to stay in Mexico for more than 180 days in a year but less than 4 years in this country.

Our law office in Mexico City is at your disposal if you want to relocate to this country based on employment.

How to relocate to Mexico as a retired person

Anyone wishing to retire in Mexico must first apply for a retirement visa. However, they must first obtain a permanent resident visa before converting it into a Mexican permanent resident card.

To be eligible for a retirement visa in Mexico, you must meet a number of requirements and have enough money to live comfortably in the country. Please note that if you move to Mexico on a retirement visa, you will not be allowed to work.

If you want to retire in Mexico, you must prove either of the following:

  • you received USD 2,200 from a pension or other retirement source in the previous 6 months;
  • you had investments or bank accounts with an average monthly overall balance of USD 85,000 the previous year.

With respect to the documents you need to file to move to Mexico as a pensioner, here they are:

  • an application form;
  • passport, both original and copy;
  • one passport-sized photograph;
  • a recent bank statement;
  • proof of pension;
  • proof of investment or bank accounts having an average monthly total balance of USD  85,000 in the past 12 months;
  • alternatively, proof of monthly income from pensions or bank accounts totaling at least USD 2,200  in the past 6 months is required.

Feel free to address our lawyers in Mexico for guidance in gathering the necessary information papers to move here as a retiree.

How to use family reunification to immigrate to Mexico

You can move to Mexico to join your family members who are legal citizens or permanent residents by obtaining a family visa.  This type of visa is issued to:

  • siblings;
  • children;
  • parents of a Mexican citizen or lawful permanent resident in Mexico.

You cannot apply for a family visa unless you have been granted authorization for family reunification by the INM. This means that the family member established in Mexico must first apply for authorization before you may continue applying at the nearest Mexican diplomatic missions in your home country.

Feel free to contact our Mexican lawyers if you need support in relocating your family members in this country.

What do I need to apply for permanent residency?

The permanent residency visa is intended for all persons wishing to relocate to Mexico and settle permanently. Like the temporary visa, the cost of the permanent visa is $36.00 which must be paid exactly on the day of the interview. Furthermore, the application procedure must be completed within 10 business days. These are the documents you will need to apply for a permanent resident if you want to immigrate to Mexico:

  • Valid passport (original and copy; valid for 6 months before travel);
  • Travel valid under international law;
  • A color photograph with a white backdrop, passport size and the applicant’s face visible without spectacles is required;
  • A document confirming lawful stay (only in circumstances when the foreigner is not a citizen of the country where the visa is sought);
  • Economic solvency.

In the case of retirees and pensioners, the economic solvency will be demonstrated from proof of bank movements or investments with a monthly average balance sheet demonstrating tax-free income greater than the equivalent of 500 days of the Mexican Federal District’s minimum salary during the previous six months. If you are interested in applying for Mexican citizenship, the services of our lawyers are at your disposal. Permanent residents who have lived in the country for at least five years are eligible to petition for citizenship through naturalization. Alternatively, marrying a Mexican makes you eligible for citizenship as soon as you marry, as long as you live together and are married in Mexico.

Buy property in Mexico after relocation

Affordable housing is available all over the world. Naturally, beach homes are expensive, but they are cheaper than similar properties located north of the Mexican border. If you buy, rent, or build your own house, you can reside in Mexico. Property taxes are surprisingly low and can be as low as a couple of hundred dollars annually.

Besides buying property, if you want to apply for Mexican citizenship, you can get in touch with our lawyers. Our skilled attorneys in Mexico will help you in the complete process of application. Being a citizen of Mexico grants you the following privileges: the ability to cast a vote in any election, to run for office in any election, to freely assemble and engage in political activity, to enlist in the Mexican Army or National Guard to defend the Republic and its institutions, and to exercise the right to petition. If you want to learn more about the benefits of Mexican citizenship, please get in touch with our lawyers.


To apply for citizenship in Mexico, you must have lived there for at least 5 years. Certain people, however, can get citizenship sooner if they are married to Mexican nationals, or have a Mexican-born child.

Here is also a video on this subject:

What are the costs of living in Mexico?

The costs of living in Mexico will be contingent on the circumstances surrounding your move since your expenses will differ based upon whether you are moving by yourself or as part of children in the family. The whole thing depends on the place you live in, the kind of house you lease, your health, and your way of life. Here is a list of estimated living costs in Mexico:

  • The estimated monthly expenses include USD 1,668.78 without rent;
  • For a single person, the monthly expenses to be USD 465.28 without rent;
  • The cost to live in Mexico is generally 48.87 percent less than in the United Kingdom;
  • In Mexico, the cost for rent is generally 60.60 percent less than that in the United Kingdom.

If you want to relocate to Mexico, you can contact our team of immigration lawyers in Mexico if you need help with your paperwork. Furthermore, you are also welcome to rely on our Mexican lawyers if you want to start a company in this country. Our skilled lawyers will help you obtain all the related licenses necessary for opening a company in Mexico