Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Employee Relocation to Mexico

Employee Relocation to Mexico

Expats who wish to work in Mexico do not need to apply for a work permit in the conventional sense. They must instead apply for one of Mexico’s two main residency permits, as well as for the right to work here. Get in touch with our Mexican lawyers to learn more details about the procedure. They can help you with employee relocation to Mexico. Furthermore, you also consult with our lawyers if you need legal help regarding your Mexican citizenship application.

Reasons to relocate employees to Mexico

Companies may relocate employees to Mexico for various reasons, including:

  • Expanding into new markets: Mexico is an important market for many businesses, especially those in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, and technology. Relocating employees to Mexico can help companies establish a presence in the country and tap into new opportunities;
  • Cost savings: Mexico has a lower cost of living and lower labor costs compared to many developed countries. This can make it attractive for companies to relocate certain positions or operations to Mexico to save costs;
  • Skills and expertise: Mexico has a skilled and educated workforce in various industries, which can be valuable to companies looking to access this expertise. Relocating employees with specific skills and knowledge can help businesses capitalize on this expertise and improve their operations;
  • Language and cultural proficiency: Mexico is a Spanish-speaking country with its own unique culture and customs. Having employees with language and cultural proficiency can be a significant advantage for companies looking to do business in Mexico;
  • Short-term project needs: Companies may relocate employees to Mexico for short-term project needs, such as implementing a new system or product or managing a specific project.

Overall, companies may relocate employees to Mexico for a range of strategic and operational reasons, depending on their business goals and needs. If you are interested in employee relocation, the services of our lawyers are at your disposal.

Besides this, you can avail of the services of our lawyers if you are trying to apply for Mexican citizenship. 

Types of Mexican employment visas

As an employer, if you need assistance regarding the relocation of personnel you can get in touch with our immigration lawyers in Mexico. They can help you in your personnel relocation to Mexico. Anyone from outside the country who wants to work here must apply for a visa. For instance:

  • Foreign nationals who intend to stay in Mexico for a time longer than 180 days must apply for a temporary residence visa. People with a temporary resident visa can stay and work in Mexico for a maximum of 4 years in addition to the Mexico work permit;
  • A permanent resident visa is required for non-nationals who want to live and work in Mexico on a long-term basis. People who have lived in Mexico for a long time or who have close family ties to the nation are also eligible to apply for a permanent resident visa.

Most Mexican workers who take a position with your company will require a permanent resident visa. Not all employees will, however, be able to meet the standards since they must have family ties to the nation, a significant monthly income, or four years of continuous status as temporary residents. Companies are advised to consider requesting a temporary residence permit for workers who have been asked to work in Mexico.

Furthermore, if you need CPA services, you can rely on our lawyer’s legal assistance. If you are interested in employee relocation in another country, such as Malta, we can put you in touch with our local partners.

Eligibility for a Mexican work permit

Before carrying out employee relocation to Mexico, you must check the criteria. Depending on whether an individual has a temporary or permanent residence visa, a person who is living in Mexico without a work permit must follow different procedures when they receive a job offer. For instance:

  • You must ask for authorization if you are a temporary resident;
  • You must inform immigration if you are a permanent resident.

For personnel relocation to Mexico, individuals should get a job offer from Mexican employers. If you receive a formal job offer in Mexico, you may be able to obtain a temporary residency permit with work authorization. Remember that your employer must apply on your behalf. Please find a general guide below:

  1. If you hold a visitor visa and are in Mexico, you must leave the country and visit a Mexican consulate overseas to obtain a temporary resident visa stamp. You will need to exchange it for a residency card when you get back to Mexico. You can also ask questions from our immigration lawyers, and they can assist you with your personnel relocation to Mexico;
  2. If you currently reside in Mexico and have a residency card, you must visit your neighborhood Instituto Nacional de Migración (INN) to inform them of your new employer. You will need to apply for work privileges if they do not already exist on your card;
  3. If you are not in Mexico, you must visit a Mexican Consulate to obtain a stamp in your passport designating you as a temporary resident. Then, once you are in Mexico, you must exchange it for a residency card.

These are the ways you can get your Mexican residency card. After getting a job offer, if you have concerns about employee relocation to Mexico, you are suggested to get in touch with our lawyers. Our immigration lawyers in Mexico can guide you in this regard. As an employee, if you are planning to immigrate to Mexico, you need a work visa if a company extends an invitation for you to join. You exchange your work visa for a one-year temporary residence permit (residence permit) when you arrive in Mexico. You can be issued an indefinite permanent residence permit after the fifth year after renewing your residence permit for an additional three years (permanent residence).

They can also further assist you if you are planning to immigrate to Mexico from US.

What do you need to know before employee relocation to Mexico?

If you are considering relocating to Mexico as an employee, it is important to research the requirements and regulations for working and living in Mexico. You may need to obtain a work visa, and there may be other legal and bureaucratic procedures that you need to follow. Mexico has a diverse and growing economy, with many opportunities in industries such as manufacturing, tourism, and technology. However, it is necessary to research the job market and specific job opportunities before deciding to relocate. You should also know that Mexico also has a rich culture and history, with many unique attractions and experiences. It is better to research the local customs and traditions to ensure that you are respectful and informed when interacting with the local population.

Overall, employee relocation to Mexico can be a rewarding experience, but it is suggested to do your study and be prepared for the cultural and practical differences that come with living and working in a different country. If you have any questions about the cultural and business challenges you can face in Mexico, you can get in touch with our lawyers. They will not only answer your concerns but also help comply with the country’s regulations to avoid any issues.

Besides this, if you are interested in immigration to Mexico, get in touch with our lawyers. 

How our immigration lawyers can help you with personnel relocation?

Our immigration lawyers in Mexico can assist with employee relocation by providing guidance and support throughout the relocation process. They can help you with following:

  • Visa and Work Permits: Our Mexican immigration lawyers can assist with obtaining the necessary visas and work permits required for employees to work in Mexico legally. They can also help with renewals and extensions of these permits as needed;
  • Compliance: Our lawyers can ensure that employers and employees comply with all relevant immigration laws and regulations in Mexico. They can advise on the correct documentation, deadlines, and procedures to avoid complications;
  • Communication: Our immigration lawyers can act as a liaison between employers and the Mexican government, as well as other relevant parties, such as consulate offices. They can also help employees communicate with relevant authorities, banks, and other institutions in Mexico;
  • Compliance with labor law: Immigration lawyers can help employers comply with Mexican labor laws, including issues related to hiring, termination, severance, and other labor matters.

Our lawyers can guide you on cultural and social integration, including housing, healthcare, education, and other relevant issues. This will help employees feel more comfortable and adjust better to their new environment. Overall, our immigration lawyers in Mexico can provide valuable assistance with employee relocation, helping employers and employees navigate the complex legal and administrative requirements of the immigration process, ensuring compliance with relevant laws, and facilitating a smooth and successful transition for all involved.

Furthermore, if you are interested in acquiring a residence permit in Mexico, the services of our lawyers are at your disposal.

Cost for residence cards in Mexico

Please find below the cost related to the Mexican temporary and permanent residence cards:

  • The first application fee for temporary residence cards is 3,207 MXN (150 USD). Additional charges might apply;
  • You are not responsible for this cost if you have a permanent residence card;
  • After the application is approved, the INM will examine the situation and conclude your application in 20 days.

Since reaching a peak of 5.5% in June 2020, Mexico’s unemployment rate has been steadily declining. It fell to 3% by May 2023, which is less than its pre-pandemic level of 3.2% in December 2019. In a similar way, the employment rate recovered, hitting 63.8% in the first quarter (Q1) of 2023—nearly 1.5% more than it was prior to the pandemic.

The COVID-19 situation has also caused a rise in inactivity, which Mexico has successfully absorbed. In Q1 of 2023, the inactivity rate decreased to 34.3%, which was below the pre-pandemic level of 35.3% and 1.4% lower than in Q1 of 2022. Women drove this trend, with their inactivity rate falling by 2.3% to 48.7% throughout that time.

For employee relocation to Mexico, you are encouraged to contact our lawyers. They can help your personnel to immigrate to Mexico without much hassle.

Besides this, the services of our expert lawyers are at your disposal if you want to incorporate a company in this country.